Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of School! (a couple weeks ago...)

Well Carter and Berklie started school!!  The summer really flew by and I was sad to see them go back to school, but they were ready!!  Carter started 2nd grade, his teacher is Mrs. Mehler, and so far he loves her.  I don't hear as many stories from him about just how much he loves her like I did when he was in 1st grade, but he also isn't complaining.  :)  We went to Back to School night and his class seems really fun!  Mrs. Mehler has a Hawaiian theme in her room, it's really cute.  He likes to tell Berklie all about how she isn't in 2nd grade and all the things that she is missing out on.  So nice. Berklie started Kindergarten a week later and was pretty nervous!  She said our family prayer the morning that she started and asked to be brave.  She is my kid that doesn't like new situations or new people or the unknown.  So, this has been been an adventure for all of us.  I was used to Carter that thrives in new situations and loves to meet new people.  So, without thinking much about it, I was sorda expecting the same thing.  She has done really though and I'm anxious to hear about new friends that she's made.  She has Mrs. Hyre for morning kindergarten.  The same teacher that Carter had, so I know she is in good hands.  We just love Rose Springs and can't imagine sending our kids anywhere else!  Carter loves walking his sister to school.  It makes me a little nervous because I don't want him to forget her somewhere along the way.  It's a short walk, I know, but she is slow and likes to stop and smell the roses (literally) and he just wants to get there as fast as he can.  So far though, it's been good. Oaklie is of course dying to start school too and can barely contain herself.  What will Crew and I do all alone for those few hours?  I think I will be consoling him or entertaining him because there isn't anyone else here to do it!  I know I will enjoy it though.
Oh yeah, and occasionally, I try to be that mom that does cute stuff for their kids...lol.  Last year we started a Back to School dinner, the night before school starts. Complete with a school like feast and a quick lesson in something as well as talking about our theme for the year.  This year our theme is "Find joy in the journey."( President Monson)  And I made each kid a small block with a picture of President Monson that just makes me smile every time I see it.
I'm not going to lie, having two kids in school makes me a little sad!!!  We are in that pre-middle age stage of life...laugh if you want to...but it's weird.  I met a girl that just had her first baby and also just turned 21.  Um...then I realized I'm old.  This stage of life is so much though and I wouldn't trade it.





Everyone had to be in the picture on Berklie's first day of school.



 She seems so young to be going to Kindergarten!!!  I sure miss having her around in the mornings.
I have to say, the one thing that she was most excited about was playing at the Kindergarten playground.  She has mastered the monkey bars, just like Carter had to do.  

2 comments:

THE TWO BELLS said...

So glad the children are loving school! They are adorable, and I love how you make it special for them.

Nikki said...

Oh my gosh, Alicia. I think if I saw Carter out and about on the street I wouldn't even recognize him, he's gotten so big! Crazy, this stage of life we're in.