Sunday, May 18, 2008
The Marathon
Welp, it's over and done! That is how I feel right now, it's kinda sad actually that it's done....I can't believe it. The race went great though. Terri and I went up to Ogden on Friday night to stay so that we didn't have to get up even earlier. We ate a good carb dinner at Olive Garden and then were in bed at 10 that night. I was so nervous that I didn't fall asleep until after midnight though. We had to catch the shuttle up to the start of the race at 5am, even though the race didn't start until 7. So, we all stood around nervous and freezing for an hour. Fortunelty, they had fires and music to distract us. Then it started! It was incredible. What a rush to be running with 2,000 other runners. Terri and I ended up running together for pretty much the whole race and we did really good. We ran about 10.5 to 10 minute miles up until mile 21 (i think) and then it got stinkin' hot and we got stinkin' tired! So, we slowed up a little bit. It ended up taking me 5 hours and 5 minutes to run 26.2 miles. My first goal was to finish, but then I hoped to make it in 4 hours and 30 minutes, so I have to admit, I was a little bit (just a little bit) bummed that I didn't make the time. It was awesome to cross the finish line though! At miles 23, 24, 25 and 26 miles,I thought I was going to cry. Not because I was in pain, but just because I was so close to reaching this goal that I had set out to do 4 months ago and it was just right at my finger tips. It's a hard feeling to explain, you are physically exhausted and emotionally too, but you feel a rush of emotions. I don't know how to explain it. It feels really awesome to have done it and I am proud of myself. As soon as I get some pictures, I'll be sure to post them. If anyone is thinknig of running a marathon, DO IT!! You will love it. I can't wait to do the next one. Gram asked me tonight on the phone what I have planned next and I think I'll take it easy for a few weeks and then in July I'd like to run a half marathon in Bryce Canyon. But, we'll see. I guess you'll all just have to stay tuned to the blog to get the latest! Thanks for everyone's support and concern and encouragement through the whole training and race. You all rock!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
YEAH!! Congrats!! I was thinking about you all day. I am so glad you made it! I bet that walk around the zoo on Friday really helped you out ;) That is so cool that you did that! Way to go!!!
Alicia - you are awesome for running the marathon and finishing! Time doesn't matter - you ran a freakin' marathon! :) It was so much fun to be able to train with you and run with you - I can't wait to get our pictures back - wonder how crazy they're gonna look! I hope you're enjoying these days of taking a break, b/c pretty soon, you're gonna be back out on the road trying to get your PR. Congrats!!
and speaking of pictures, you HAVE to put on pics of your nice sunburn from your legs....crazy!
YAY! You did it! I am so proud of you, you're my new hero!!! I totally understand the emotional part, well not exactly since I've never done it, but I get emotional watching or hearing about people accomplishing goals, I teared up reading about yours. Way to go!
Congratulations Alicia! You are an inspiration, setting out to do something and accomplishing it, especially after having an injury. Way to go!!!
Way to go! I can't wait to join your club. I am already nervous!
hey Alicia, I miss ya!!
Yeah for you!! I think it is so amazing that you ran a marathon-I can't even begin to fathom doing that. How awesome that you accomplished a goal you set out for. What an inspiration you are for the rest of us.
Megan
Post a Comment